Monday, September 9, 2013

First Day of Preschool- Stream of Consciousness Style

Sunday night, 9:30pm, I lay down in bed with the plan of reading, but I’m too tired so, I brush my teeth and feel like I must be so old, going to sleep so early. I sleep 8 hours straight and the alarm goes off at 5:30, but I don’t get up. Instead, I sleep another hour and pull myself out of bed at 6:30.

Sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee, my notebook and my Bible, I journal Ephesians 2:8-10. The verse reminds me that I was saved by GRACE and not from doing good works, although He did create me to do good works, just thankfully, that’s NOT what saved me. I feel like I should journal about Judah’s first day at preschool so, I write a prayer for him in my notebook. When I’m about 2 lines from the bottom of the page, my boy quietly walks out of his room, not even waking his sister. I hug him, pull him onto my lap and he asks me what I was doing. I explain that I was praying for his first day and that I’m so excited for him. He asks me to read what I wrote and so I go ahead. He hugs me tight, looks me in my eyes and tells me he loves me.

Cereal is poured. A special kind that we bought as a reward for staying in bed and “not waking your sister”. It’s a cereal that apparently tastes like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups. I say apparently because I haven’t tried it. If I did, I would most likely eat the whole box. All I know is that it must be good because, it makes him stay in his bed and he slipped out of there without even waking her this morning!

Clothes were picked out the night before so, there isn’t any guess work when it comes to what he’s going to wear. It’s a given anyway, that boy of mine is obsessed with Super Hero’s and very particular about wearing a Super Hero shirt pretty much everyday. In the back of my mind, I wish that I could pick a cute outfit, but those days are gone and that battle isn’t worth me fighting.

I feed Eliza, get Paisley breakfast and then we head outside to take our “first day of Preschool photos”. I’m un-showered (again) because the morning got ahead of me and I haven’t even had a chance to eat my breakfast. Eliza sits in her carseat and Judah and Paisley fool around while I chalk-draw in the driveway. Our neighbors pull in and I feel slightly embarrassed to be out there, without makeup, haired piled high on my head, doing what every other mother over the last week has done- first day of school pictures.

The neighbor-friend takes my camera and tells me to get in the picture. I feel hesitant, but now I'm so glad that I did. I haven’t been in the picture much lately. Baby weight still hangs on and I’d rather be behind the lens. Now, I’m so thankful for friends who tell me to get in the picture and capture that moment with my son.

We drop him off and I don’t cry. Instead, I feel excited for him. On the way home, Paisley wants to pretend that I’m the school bus driver and that she’s riding the bus. We’re doing preschool at home together while Judah’s at school and she’s excited. When we get home she exclaims “I’m at school!" I turn her favorite music on and get Eliza ready for a nap. We get out the paints and get ready to do preschool. I grab one of Daddy’s old white shirts and decide that it’s going to be our painting shirt. We paint a tree, put her handprints on the tree and label it “Paisley’s 1st Day of Preschool”. Then I give her a few pieces of paper and let her paint whatever she wants. Eliza has a hard time falling asleep so, I go help her. She’s been rolling onto her tummy and then going into what I call “airplane freak-out mode”, which is basically arms extended to the sides, freaking out because she doesn’t know how to roll back over yet.

Paisley and I read a book, sing songs and talk about our letter for the day, “A”. I help her practice tracing for the first time and I feel so happy because we’ve needed this time together. There’s been distance between us lately and this intentional time is what we’ve needed.

Preschool with Paisley only lasts 30-45 minutes, with breaks when she starts loosing attention. Afterwards,  I vacuum and scrub the microwave because salmon splattered inside of it. Eliza wakes and I feed her while Paisley watches a Leap Frog movie and then we head out to get Judah.

I make them cheese sandwiches and then they have a popsicle on the deck. He tells me about his first day and that he had fun! I can see that it was a success and I feel thankful.

A few photos from our first day:
That circle that he's standing on is a smiley face that he drew while I was chalk-writing...just FYI.


1 comment:

  1. what a perfect day for your family. you look beautiful in the photo!!!


Thank you for your comments. I read every single one of them and they always make me smile.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...