Our Valentine's Day was a bit more non-traditional this year, as I suppose it usually is, if you have a herd of little ones. He had to work late and I ended up having a very non-romantic dinner with my crazy kiddos. After bedtime, I painted my nails, put on a dress and we ate dinner at home. It ended up being one of the best dinners we've had together, right here, in our own dining room.
We finally went out today, just the two of us and we spent a few hours running around to different antique and thrift stores. If you're looking for a really fun non-traditional date idea, I totally recommend doing this.
A few things I've learned from our non-traditional Valentine's Day:
1. Take-out Mexican food after the kids are in bed is just as good as anything.
2. Candle light makes even chips and salsa feel romantic.
3. Dressing up and eating dinner at home feels silly at first, but after you get over that, it's really fun.
4. If you can't go out on Valentine's Day, going out on say a Monday afternoon is just as good.
5. Antiquing/ thrift store treasure hunting is such a fun date and something I hope we do more often.
6. Your husband giving your daughter flowers on Valentine's Day is just about the sweetest thing ever.
7. I'm horrible about laughing really loud at the inappropriate cards, while shopping for a good one.
A few photos.
This girl, during dinner on Valentine's Day. Oh my, she wasn't having it.